Thermal Processing R&D Engineering
New to heat treating? Looking to bring an outsourced process in-house?
Solar Manufacturing can assist you with process development and implantation into your facility. Solar’s extensive knowledge of furnace design and processing requirements will ensure that you not only have the proper equipment for the job, they will help you ensure that you are producing the proper results.
Rely on the Solar Manufacturing Thermal Processing R&D Engineering as a resource for value-added metallurgical support. Combining a broad range of application experience in the metals industry, R&D Engineering has the knowledge to develop and optimize heat treatment processes to best achieve the desired material properties for a given application. The group is dedicated to providing a service unique in the commercial heat treatment industry.
- Group of metallurgists, scientist, engineers, and technicians focused on heat treatment cycle development and optimization from laboratory to large production scale product
- On-site metallurgical laboratory for microhardness testing and microstructure analysis
- Two laboratory furnaces specifically for R&D; one all metal, one high temperature graphite
- Utilization of a residual gas analyzer (RGA) for process and equipment development
- Ability to provide equipment modifications to accomplish new processes
- Available to discuss material selection and surface treatment options for performance enhancement
- Variety of furnace sizes will ensure that scale up is successful
- Low pressure carburizing (LPC), to comprise aerospace and high performance gears
- Vacuum purge gas nitriding, including post nitriding oxidation for improved corrosion performance
- Titanium nitriding for wear and corrosion resisting properties
- Solution nitriding of martensitic stainless steels for increased surface hardness and resultant bearing performance
- Hydriding/dehydriding of transition element scrap for recycling
- Purification and/or sintering of powders