Low Pressure Carburizing (LPC)
Low Pressure Carburizing (LPC) is a specialized, highly technical process pioneered by Solar Atmospheres designed to increase fatigue life and improve wear properties of your parts. The case hardened surface is supported by a ductile, shock-absorbing core capable of withstanding high load bearing applications. LPC produces a uniform, high-quality case with minimized distortion and absence of Intergranular Oxidation (IGO), reducing or eliminating expensive post heat treating machining operations.
Solar Manufacturing offers the LPC capabilities on the Internal Quench Series model lines. This furnace is a horizontal front loading, internal quench, low pressure carburizing furnace generally designed for high production commercial and captive heat treating shops. It is a high-temperature, batch type, vacuum furnace with electric resistance heating elements also capable of performing additional vacuum heat treat processes other than LPC alone. The Internal Quench series is capable of quench pressures of up to 20 Bar (285 PSIG), which allows the furnace to carburize and harden in the same cycle.
Features and Benefits
- The gas distribution design provides extremely uniform carburizing case depth.
- Horizontal, front loading design with hinged front door for easy, convenient, and unobstructed loading / unloading of workloads
- Autoclave locking ring closure eliminates door seal problems and provides a safe closure at high pressures.
- Equipped with fully automated and programmable industrial controls package for precise process control and repeatability
- Conformance to SAE specification ASM 2759/7
- Extremely uniform case depth within furnace
- Minimized distortion through gas quenching
- Shorter cycle times for fast turn-around
- Case hardening – uniform case depth including holes and keyways
- 90%+ root to pitch case depth ratios for gearing applications
- Optional Cycle Development Software for carburizing profile planning
- Meets NFPA 86 safety standard and AMS 2750, AMS 2759/7 Aerospace Material Specifications
New to Low Pressure Vacuum Carburizing?
Consult with our R&D Engineering team for recipe development and training
Typical Materials Processed in Carburizing Vacuum Furnaces
- 41 & 4320 / 30 / 40
- Vasco X2
- Pyrowear 53 & 675
- Ferrium C61 & C64
- M50 NiL